With extreme heat waves in recent years, air conditioning has become a necessity for many households in the UK. Portable air conditioners are an increasingly popular choice, providing flexibility and energy efficiency. However, many people have questions about running a portable AC unit 24/7.
Today, we will address the most frequently asked questions about using portable air conditioners around the clock in the UK:
1. Is It Safe to Run a Portable AC Unit 24/7?
Yes, it is generally safe to run a portable air conditioner continuously, as they are designed to operate for extended periods. However, it is essential to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and not exceed the recommended usage. To ensure the unit’s safety and longevity, regularly clean the air filters and perform necessary maintenance.
2. How Much Will It Cost to Run a Portable AC Unit 24/7?
The cost of running a portable AC unit depends on its power consumption and the electricity tariff in your area. Most portable air conditioners in the UK use between 900 to 1500 watts. To estimate the cost, multiply the unit’s wattage by the number of hours used and the electricity price per kilowatt-hour (kWh). For example, if your portable AC uses 1200 watts and the electricity price is 14 pence per kWh, running the unit for 24 hours would cost approximately £4.03.
Keep in mind that using the AC continuously may not be necessary, and you can save on energy costs by using a programmable thermostat, turning off the unit when not needed, or using energy-saving modes.
3. Will Running a Portable AC Unit 24/7 Reduce Its Lifespan?
As with any appliance, continuous operation can lead to wear and tear on a portable air conditioner. However, most modern units are designed to withstand extended use. To prolong the life of your portable AC, ensure you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for maintenance, such as cleaning filters and checking for leaks or blockages.
4. Can I Leave My Portable AC Unit Unattended While It’s Running?
It is generally safe to leave a portable air conditioner running while you are not at home, provided it is properly installed and maintained. However, there are some safety precautions to consider:
- Ensure the unit is placed on a flat, stable surface to prevent tipping.
- Check that the exhaust hose is correctly installed and not obstructed.
- Make sure the air filters are clean and free of debris.
- Use a surge protector to protect the unit from electrical issues.
- Consider using a programmable thermostat or timer to control the unit’s operation while you are away.
5. How Can I Make My Portable AC Unit More Energy-Efficient When Running 24/7?
There are several ways to improve the energy efficiency of your portable air conditioner:
- Choose a unit with an energy-efficient rating (A+ or higher) to save on energy costs.
- Use a programmable thermostat or timer to control the unit’s operation and minimise energy waste.
- Regularly clean the air filters and perform necessary maintenance to ensure the unit runs efficiently.
- Close windows, doors, and curtains to keep the cool air inside and reduce the workload on the AC unit.
- Insulate your home to prevent heat from entering and cool air from escaping.
For many, using a portable air conditioner non-stop during the hot summer months in the UK can offer comfort and respite. To ensure the safe and effective use of your portable AC all day, adhere to the manufacturer’s instructions, keep the unit well-maintained, and apply energy-conserving techniques. That way, you can sit back and relax, knowing your portable AC is in good condition and giving you the cool temperature you need for a better quality of life!
London Climate Hire is an HVAC specialist offering a complete Turnkey rental solution to meet the heating and cooling needs of many in the UK. If you are looking for portable AC hire in London, reach out to us today! We’ve got you covered to ensure all your needs are met.