Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. It’s a poisonous gas that comes from the incomplete combustion of carbon-based fuels. This usually comes from fuel-fired appliances such as gas or oil furnaces, as well as gas refrigerators, gas ranges, gas water heaters, and others alike.

Poisoning from carbon monoxide is a risk that most homeowners take, knowingly or unknowingly, whenever they use their domestic appliances. They’re most especially dangerous when the appliances are situated in places where there are little airflow and ventilation.

Where does carbon monoxide come from?

The potential sources of carbon monoxide are the following:

  1. Fuel-run heating systems
  2. Water heaters
  3. Cooking appliances
  4. Emergency generators
  5. Propane-powered floor machines

Many commercial buildings such as residential, schools, and office blocks use a centralised plant room for their heating and hot water. Most of the time, these facilities are left alone the whole day. This is highly dangerous because carbon monoxide comes from faulty installation and lack of maintenance. 

How to detect leaks

If there’s carbon monoxide leakage, it will instantly fill the space within the plant room before it can spread to other occupied areas of the building. The concentration, as well as the fatality risk, decrease as it disperses in other regions. Nevertheless, it’s still potent to send those affected by carbon monoxide to seek medical attention immediately. 

Carbon monoxide is odourless and colourless, which is why it is difficult to detect the presence of any leakage. For this reason, it is essential that you install a carbon monoxide detector within your property. If you have a carbon monoxide alarm and it rings, it’s vital that your building has an emergency exit plan and trained personnel who knows how to handle such situations. 

Once the alarm goes off, it means that the problem is occurring. It means that there is carbon monoxide in the air and that the lives of the people inside the property are at risk of exposure from this silent killer. 

In the case of exposure, it is essential that you have trained personnel to handle the situation to ensure the safety of everyone within the building. If your property does not have an alarm, it’s essential to know how carbon monoxide poisoning manifests in a human being’s body. Early manifestations are often minor symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion, stomach pain, shortness of breath, and other signs similar to the flu without the high body temperature.

If there is a high level of carbon monoxide in the air, on the other hand, the people inside will suffer the following symptoms:

  • Change of behaviour or episodes of delusion
  • Vertigo
  • Loss of physical coordination
  • Shortness of breath
  • Increased heart rate at 100bpm
  • Chest pain
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness

Long-term exposure to carbon monoxide can cause death because it will replace the oxygen in the red blood cells and damages the tissue. 

Gas Safe Register states that one in seven appliances in London is not safe. It’s essential that you have a detector in your home and office. Preventing such instances from taking place is undoubtedly a worthy investment.

If you’re looking for temporary heating services for hire while you deal with the carbon monoxide emitting heaters, get in touch with us today! We’re happy to help.

Call Us Now