If you’re looking to cool down a room during the hot summer months, a portable air conditioner can be a lifesaver. They’re easy to use, don’t require professional installation, and can be moved from room to room as needed. However, when moving your portable AC unit, you may wonder whether you can lay it on its side without causing any damage. In this article, we’ll explore the answer to this question and give you some tips on how to handle your portable air conditioner safely.
Can You Lay a Portable Air Conditioner on Its Side?
The short answer is no, you should not lay your portable air conditioner on its side. Portable air conditioners are designed to be used upright, allowing the refrigerant to flow properly through the compressor and the cooling coils. If you lay your portable air conditioner on its side, there is a risk that the oil in the compressor will mix with the refrigerant, causing damage to the unit.
In addition to this, laying your portable air conditioner on its side can cause water to leak from the unit. This is because the condenser coil, responsible for removing moisture from the air, is located at the bottom of the unit. When you lay the unit on its side, the water collected in the condenser coil can leak out and cause damage to your flooring or carpet.
How to Move Your Portable Air Conditioner Safely
Now that you know it’s unsafe to lay your portable air conditioner on its side, you may wonder how to move it from room to room without causing any damage. Here are some tips to help you move your portable air conditioner safely:
- Turn off the unit and unplug it from the wall.
- Remove accessories, such as the exhaust hose or window kit.
- Roll the unit on its wheels to the new location.
- Once you’ve moved the unit to the new location, let it sit upright for at least 30 minutes before turning it on. This will allow any oil in the compressor to settle back into place.
- Reattach any accessories and plug the unit back in.
- Turn the unit on and adjust the temperature as needed.
Other Tips for Maintaining Your Portable Air Conditioner
In addition to handling your portable air conditioner carefully when moving it, there are other steps you can take to ensure that it lasts for as long as possible. Here are some tips for maintaining your portable air conditioner:
- Clean or replace the air filter regularly. This will help to keep the air flowing freely and reduce strain on the unit.
- Keep the exhaust hose and window kit clean and debris-free. This will help to prevent any air leaks that could reduce the unit’s efficiency.
- Keep the area around the unit clean and free of dust. This will help prevent blockages in the air intake or exhaust vents.
- Use the unit in the correct size room. Portable air conditioners are designed to cool specific room sizes, so use the right unit for the space you want to cool.
Stay Cool this Summer with Portable AC Hire
Laying your portable air conditioner on its side is not recommended as it can cause damage to the unit. If you need to move your portable air conditioner from room to room, follow the tips outlined above to do so safely. Additionally, taking steps to maintain your portable air conditioner can help ensure that it lasts as long as possible. If you need a portable air conditioner for the summer, consider portable AC hire to keep your home or office cool and comfortable.
London Climate Hire are HVAC specialists, providing boiler chillers, heaters, air conditioning, generators, and ancillary services. We specialise in installing temporary boiler hire and heater rentals in London and local counties. If you need a portable air conditioner for hire in London, we’ve got you covered! Get in touch with us today!